For specific legislation and the Greens’ positions on donations at the local, state and federal level, please see the Law Reform page.
The Greens NSW believe that corporate political donations erode the Australian democratic process.
Parties use political donations to help fund their election campaigns and day-to-day activities. In return, corporate donors get access to politicians. They sit with them at fundraising dinners and meet with them at Parliament House. This can distort the democratic process because it gives those with money the opportunity to buy influence that the average person cannot afford.
Politicians from the major parties are constantly making decisions on issues affecting the profits of organisations that have made massive donations to their campaigns or their party. The big donors include:
- property developers – NSW has weak planning laws that put developer greed ahead of community needs;
- clubs and hotels – gaming machines continue to wreck lives; and
- banks and finance corporations – the NSW and federal governments continues to hand out lucrative public-private partnerships and corporate subsidies
The Greens NSW do not accept donations from corporations.
The Greens are campaigning to ban corporate donations and improve public disclosure and accountability.
- A ban on donations from for-profit organisations and a tight cap on all other donations;
- Adequate, fair and transparent public funding of all elections;
- Caps on electoral expenditure by candidates, parties, third parties and associated entities;
- Real-time and transparent disclosure of all donations on a public website maintained by electoral commissions.
Our policies on democracy cover the Greens’ formal positions on political donations, electoral funding and expenditure:
Donations to the Greens
The Greens NSW do not accept corporate donations.
As a grassroots party, our donations come from party members and people who support our campaigns and initiatives. We publicly disclose who donates to our election campaigns so that the public knows who our donors are before they vote.
We continuously disclose our donations. You can download our disclosures from recent elections:
- 2016 Federal Election
- 2015 State Election
- 2013 Federal Election
- 2011 NSW State Government election
- 2010 Federal Election
- 2008 Local Government election — Greens Candidates
- 2008 Local Government election — Greens city of Sydney Councillor Chris Harris
- 2007 NSW State Government election
The Australian Greens disclose donors on a quarterly basis and the list can be viewed here.